Friday, April 23, 2004

My not-so-bad reputation



I finished watching the Freaks and Geeks DVD. Not the whole thing, because 29 commentary tracks is no joke, just the episodes and the auditions and bloopers. I'm doing the deleted scenes next.



Anyway, in retrospect, I don't know what I'm talking about. I hung out with geeks all the time when I was fourteen. Practically everyone I knew was a geek. Geekiness was the norm in high school. The only difference is that it was science geeky as opposed to pop culture geeky. But then (you're right, Mikey) college more than made up for that.



To further illustrate: one of my friends (who was maybe 15 or 16 at the time) said that if the dorm burned down, the first thing he'd save was his thesis (Hi Deo, are you reading this?), another friend would randomly blurt out scientific names (I bet he still remembers them to this day), my band was named after the thickest part of a light wave, and I spent week-end nights at the lab (preserving angiosperms).



The best thing about it was that the geeks weren't the outcasts. In fact, geekiness was sort of proportional to popularity. Yeah, my high school was sort of twisted. It was a little bit freaky, but hey, we didn't turn out so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment