Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Why you'd want to live here

Pinag-isipan ko talaga nang matagal, Jeline.

Is living in NY all it's cracked up to be?

I vacillate between wide-eyed wonder (the view from the Brooklyn Bridge at night still takes my breath away) and a sort of jadedness (hay, eto na naman, sasakay na naman ako ng subway at magmamadali at uupo sa desk ko nang walong oras, and on my way home there's going to be another police investigation and I'll be stuck underground for an hour).

Maybe it is that way with Paris or London or Tokyo. I felt that way about Manila when I first moved from Bacolod.

But yeah, I really love living here. I know I wouldn't want to live here forever. Soon I'll be more concerned about my rent money going towards a mortgage than being close to all the "cool" things. I'm going to get increasingly annoyed with being around a lot of people all the time. I'll finally get sick of the commute. New York is not kind to old people.

But for now, if I could be in any American city, it'd still be New York. It just sucks that the people that I'd want to be doing all the things you could do in NY with aren't here.

No comments:

Post a Comment